Saturday, August 4, 2012

Sijo (시조)

I have tried my hand at sijo (in English). It is a structured poetic form of  three lines of 14-16 syllables each. I didn't know where to publish these, but as my attempt at sijo is inspired by the prospect of my trip to Korea in October, and by a book of Korean Zen poetry ("Because of the Rain") I am including them in this blog.

I admit to being predominately left brain (analytical) and aesthetically challenged. Even so I offer a few that I have recently written.



The Wave                         (July 10)
  
I look out over the ocean; 
    awed by its immensity.    
A huge wave rolls in from the distance; 
    striking fear in my belly.
Now near, it tumbles over itself; 
    tickles my toes, and is gone.


The Pasture                 (July 15)

The summer pasture bathed in sunlight;  
    cows rest in the shade.
Walking through the field the grass parts; 
    I break off a piece and suck it. 
I step in a cow pie, flies buzz; 
    My shoe is covered in shit.


Bubbles                         (July 15)

God created the cosmos; 
    a child plays, blowing bubbles. 
The bubbles are beautiful; 
    rainbows sparkle on their surface. 
Then POP! and they are gone; 
    but they live on in the child's mind.           

  
I may add to this page until October 8th, but any sijo that come to me once I am in Korea I will record in my daily post.  I will try to resist any other digressions. On to Korea!        



 Plover               (September 12, 2012)

On the beach at Chincoteague,
    small birds chase the receding wave,
grab a morsel to small to see, 
    scurry back as the next wave comes,
little legs pumping madly;
    ebb and flow, yin and yang, tai-chi.* 


*Tai-chi is great ultimate symbolized in the diagram of the yin and yang, as well as the martial art based on this principle.

Sparrows           (October 4, 2012)

Sidewalk cafe on the parkway; 
    eating lunch, watching girls.
A sparrow hovers near, alights;
    steals a bread crumb off the table.
More come, watch, wait, flutter about; 
    Frances of Assisi.

No comments:

Post a Comment