Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Tuesday, Day twentyone

Dr. Park's garden where I sat and waited
Geoffrey came in at some point this morning and put a light quilt on me. It is getting chilly. My cell phone isn't working and I wonder if it was cut off by the company, thinking I am leaving today. 

I found an e-mail from Geoffrey telling me to call the woman down stairs. Of course I can't. After breakfast and a shower I got dressed, brought in the laundry, and went down to talk to her and explain. She was gone. I sat for a while viewing the garden then came back up, got a book, and left for lunch. 

I went down the hill and turned right. I passed Geoffrey's hair stylist, "Mo," just as she was coming out of the shop and we chatted. She asked where I was going and I said "to lunch" in English, then in Korean when she gave me a blank look. She asked "alone" and I said I have a book and showed her my copy of Back to Heaven by Chon Sang Pyong, pointing out the Korean and English on facing pages. I don't think going to lunch with a book qualified as not being alone for her. 

Chinese restaurant down stairs behind red sign
I crossed the bridge and first went to the stationary store for a pen, then to the Chinese restaurant for their mini tangsuyuk. Mini refers to it being a single portion. Geoffrey says when he goes to a restaurant the menus all list double portions on the assumption customers come in pairs. I guess Geoffrey's hair stylist didn't think my book would be suitable companionship, and at any rate wouldn't eat much. Koreans don't eat alone? 

I then went to Caffe Bene for coffee but when I sat down it didn't feel right so I went home. Mrs. Dr. Park still wasn't back so I sat by the garden again, sipping the coffee in the quiet. A sijo came to mind:
 
Even here in Korea, 
    especially here in Korea,
All is busyness, go there, do that. 
    Where is the time to appreciate?
Time to still the monkey mind, 
    and to feel God's presence?
  
Last dinner (ribs) in Korea
When Geoffrey got home we we went to the Changwon market to try to find some gifts. It's not what we wanted so we headed for Home Plus. On the way we stopped for ribs. It is my last dinner in Korea. We then went to Home Plus where we found some things that looked nice. From there we came home for me to get packed.

No comments:

Post a Comment