Friday, October 12, 2012

Friday, Day Three: Walk to Changwon National University

Today, during a breakfast of two hard boiled eggs, cheese and crackers, I read my mail, the comics in the Post, the Times, and an article Heaven is Real posted on Facebook by Peggy from the Daily Beast. It was by a skeptic neurosurgeon who had a spiritual experience while in a coma. It seems meningitis shut down his neocortex, the seat of the self, but he was aware of spiritual presence. 

I walked down the hill and across the bridge for lunch at a Chinese place Geoffrey had pointed out. It was in a basement and kind of dingy. I ordered tangsuyuk (탕수육, sweet and sour beef, but not like the Cantonese version we get in the states) and when it came I was able to select those pieces not soaked in the sweet sauce. It was good and I regretted having to leave some of it that was just too soaked. 
Himself at the gate to GyeongNam University


Yongji-Ro coming up the hill from the University
From there I walked up the street that followed the stream, toward the University (Changwon National University where Geoffrey's landlord, Dr. Park, teaches mechanical engineering). The street was full of students and lined with shops catering to their needs. When I got to the gate I took some pictures of students coming and going. I didn't go in far, just looked around and started back.  I had gotten off to a late start and didn't know what time Geoffrey would be around to pick me up. I came back going up Yongji-Ro to the Art Institute. It was quite a hill and I stopped to rest twice. 

Geoffrey with block that gashed his leg
Back at Geoffrey's I called the post office to request delivery of a package they couldn't deliver before because nobody was home to accept it. Geoffrey got home at about 4:30 and we hung out until about 6:00 when he called Duke at the International Hotel where the team was staying to make arrangements to meet for dinner.  The team is the group that came in this week for the special project: from Ducom there was Duke, Wayne (project engineer), two Korean women (the CFO Sung Hee, and Jessica  who served as translator), and of course Geoffrey; Steve was the  liaison from the U.S. Army (a civilian); and later Mr. Kang, the head honcho from a Koline arrived. 

We ate at a nearby restaurant that specialized in Samgyeopsal (삼겹살), a pork dish I had never tried, or even heard of for that matter. It was cooked at the table, and was very good, eaten with a sesame oil, salt and pepper dip. Daenjang (a soy paste similar to miso) is an option but it had been mixed with Gochujang (a chili pepper paste, hot!) so I avoided it. They ware all drinking beer mixed with soju. Geoffrey only had one or two as he was driving, and of course I had none (Geoffrey consoled me later saying the beer wasn't very good). We left at about 9:00 and I was in bed before 11:00. 

No comments:

Post a Comment