Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Wednesday, Day Twenty-two

Gimhae (Busan) airport waiting area
7-11 in Gimhae (Busan) airport
We were up at 7:00 and out by 7:45. We stopped at a Dunkin Donuts for an egg and bagel sandwich, then Geoffrey got me to the airport. He stayed with me as I returned my cell phone, then as I got in line at check-in he left to go to work. I really appreciate all the help he has been. I went through security but lost the Swiss army knife I had gotten in Geneva. I forgot to pack it in my checked luggage. The annoying thing is that once on the plane they served a meal (a meal on a two hour flight; what a concept!), and the knife and fork were steel and every bit as useful as a weapon as my knife. After security I sat around watching people for the last time in Korea.

Getting off the KAL plane in Tokyo the flight steward indicated my (Busan Giants) scarf and said "Thanks for your support." I nodded and smiled and then without thinking said to him "andesemneda" or I'm sorry for your loss. That will be my last word in Korean aside from the occasional Korean restaurant. 


Snack bar in Narida (Tokyo) airport
In Narita airport (Tokyo) I had to go through security between flights. I'm glad I asked Dr. Park to translate my pacemaker information into Japanese. It helped. I also had to check in with Delta and the young lady at the desk was Japanese, but knew Philly enough to appreciate Wawa coffee. I had a snack in a snack bar and bought a large bottle of water for the trip. Frustrating, can't speak the language!

On Delta flight 622 I sat next to a young woman with huge grapes and other very large pieces of fruit. She had to finish it before getting to U.S. Agriculture control she so shared it. It was a lot of sugar and I tested; my blood sugar was high, so at a guess I gave myself four units of insulin which seemed to do the trick. A young American woman coming home from the Philippines corrected my impression of there being not much to see there. My thinking was that  the Philippines is not a country with an ancient culture. Before the Spanish arrived in the early 16th century I always thought it was tribal. She said if you get out of the cities there is much beauty. I'll pass that on to Geoffrey who would like to visit after Korea. 
Minneapolis airport (note Philly Grill right)

I went through customs in Minneapolis without incident, and had some argument with Homeland Security about the electronic gate. I was assured it is just radio waves but I pointed out radio waves are an electromagnetic field and that is what my doctor said to avoid. I  prevailed and got the pat down, waited a couple hours, and was on my way home
Pat meets me in Philadelphia

Pat met me in Philadelphia. It's been a long day (about 48 hours).

No comments:

Post a Comment